Little by little...

Little by little...

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Breaking Through the Atmosphere

To be able to escape earth's atmosphere, you need to achieve a velocity that is great enough to achieve sufficient energy to escape the earth's gravitational field strength.*

I have a problem. I want to escape, but I don't have enough energy.

Like most people, my job involves constant decision-making. Are the requirements ‘done enough’? Should I go to that meeting? What tests should we write? When should we discuss an upcoming feature? Some are easy & others difficult, but lucky for me, I enjoy the work that is accomplished with these decisions.

The problem is all the counter-productive decisions in my day. I choose to refrain from battling over a stupid process for the tenth time because it’s more efficient to fill out the form. I give in and provide detailed estimates for an upcoming project even though I know there is little value. I try to hide my emotions, a.k.a. not cry, over budget & staffing decisions that I can’t change instead of telling management what I really think.

These choices leave me emotionally and physically drained.

When I get home and consider a career change, at first it seems exhilarating and I take off. Then I start considering all the possibilities and my plane loses velocity. Soon I’m landing and with my feet back on the ground, I convince myself that things will change. Management will come around and if I'm here then I can help them see the error of their ways. And what else would I do anyway? The gravitational field strength takes over and I’m grounded again.

I know I need to escape, but how can I ever reach my escape velocity?



2 comments:

  1. You're describing the "pickle in the brine" story. I normally don't recommend books to people because it usually takes intrinsic motivation to read stuff but seriously read "The Secrets of Consulting" by Jerry Weinberg. It won't solve your existential career crisis but it will help you better understand what's happening to/around you. It's great and one of the few books worth a re-read as it's layered and deep while still being a page-turner. I promise it's not just about consulting. :-)

    Also beware of systems thinking: http://thinkpurpose.com/2012/03/17/7-reasons-you-shouldnt-touch-systems-thinking/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'm not Unknown, I'm Adam Yuret! ^

    ReplyDelete